Client: Alliance For Youth Action
Project: "Vote America Back"
Every election cycle in America has always had the same deficiency: young people (on average) don’t turn up to vote. As a result, there is a disconnect between the youth of the nation and our political leaders, as well as a pervading sense of misrepresentation in our political system.
How do we find a way to motivate young Americans to vote?
• 38% of younger Americans do not agree that “America has a history that we should be proud of.”
• 46% of young Americans (ages 14-37) disagree with the statement, “America is the greatest country in the world.”
• 1 in 5 millennials view the American flag as a symbol of “intolerance and hatred.”
• 2 out of 5 millennials think it is okay to burn the American flag.
Create imagery using the American flag as a coded symbol of national emergency to incite patriotism among the youth.
• The black band wraps around the flag suggesting
a "state of mourning", while a simple message reminds the viewer that they can still make a difference.
• The flag is presented upside-down, symbolically representing a political system that at times
feels like it's gone "topsy-turvy".
• The body-copy and hashtags are interchangeable and work in conjunction with each other.
• Snapchat and Instagram scan-codes will redirect the recipient to a micro-site that will
help with the initial process of registering to vote.
POWER TO THE YOUTH
Sticker bundles will be sold online and will give the youth of the nation the power to censor and re-appropriate other politician's propaganda.
• Social media advertisements will redirect to a simple "one-stop" voting registration website. The aim is to make registration and finding voting locations as painless as possible for the target audience.
• Free swag will be given to people who share
their registration confirmation on social media.
This campaign is about emboldening the youth of the nation and putting the power back into the hands of the future of America. We need to stand up now before the window of opportunity closes and we reach the point of no return. We must act.